29 October 2013

The friendship quilt.

I have talked on here several times about how much I love the blogging community and how amazing it is to have found friends across the world whom I have not met but have so much in common with.

I was excited when Fiona initially posted about the idea of a friendship quilt. I have really got into quilting and liked the idea of sending pretty squares of material to other people.


What I didn't realise when I signed up for the friendship quilt was how happy it would make me to receive those parcels most weeks.

How blog friends go above and beyond just sending a square of material. I have had american candy, english chocolate and beautiful cards and tags.

I didn't realise how blessed I would feel when reading the words of those women in the letters and notes they sent with their quilt blocks.


How each piece that arrived was so unique. No two designs have been the same and each is as personal to me as it is to the creator!

I didn't realise that the quilt blocks would remind me of their creator. Even before they are put together they have a story. For instance the block Sian sent me has images of little houses and I at once think of her writing "high in the sky".



When I joined this swap I had the end project in mind. What I didn't realise was that the process is just as wonderful. The emails I have had asking about colour schemes, the thought that has gone into the square, the stories that have come back about blog friends pulling out their sewing machine for the first time in ages, they are all wonderful to hear and receive.

I also never realised the opportunity I would have to tell my housemates about blogging, about quilting and about a community of women around the world who are all crafty.


Thank you dear friends who have sent me quilt blocks. All are beautiful, all are personal and I can't wait to put them together. Thank you too to Fiona who initiated the swap. I can't wait till I can start sending my own blocks out (I have enough jiffy bags now to keep me going all year!)

Quilt block creators top to bottom:
Amy
Deb
Sian
Deb (paper Turtle) 

10 comments:

Jo.C said...

Mine's on it's way today - mind you there are some pretty impressive ones there - think I will need to hone my skills as I go through this year ;0)
Enjoy
Joanne

alexa said...

How lovely are these! And glad you are enjoying the whole experience too :). Mine will be on its way very soon :). Xx

debs14 said...

How exciting! I'm looking forward to see how each of us chooses to put them all together in a quilt. (I may also need advice!)

scrappyjacky said...

I'm echoing Jo's comments!! I think I still need a lot of practice....those blocks look gorgeous.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I love this post, Abi! Your words really sum up what a lovely project this is, far beyond the actual quilt squares you are receiving. Well done, dear one!

Ruth said...

What a treasure you are gathering! I never cease to be amazed by the fulfilling friendships found in blogging and crafting of all kinds.

Sandra said...

Your post has really made me smile, it's so true about blogging friends :) and oh I can just imaging you going through all your squares and smiling at them

Sian said...

Is it okay if I admit that it's going to be hard to wait til way into next year for it to be my turn?! A lovely post.

Alison said...

I have just been to post mine, Abi...hopefully you will receive it soon!I am also in agreement with the comments about needing lots of.ractice!
Alison xx

Karen said...

Makes me wish I were a quilter! Can't wait to see how it all comes together.