6 October 2013

Storytelling Sunday- the perfume bottle

This little dust covered bottle sits on my dressing table at home. 
There is a tiny drop of scent left in the bottom. 
I don't know if I will ever finish it. 


It was my sixteenth birthday and we were a new couple, learning each others quirks. 
That September was my birthday. I can't think what it must have been like to have to come up with a present for a girl he was getting to know, but he did good.
There was a pink box wrapped in ribbon. 
Inside was a collection of hand cream, body butter and then nestled in the corner a little pink bottle of scent. 

It meant a lot. It was the first bottle of perfume I had for myself. 
I wore it a lot those next few months and he always realised when I did. 
It became part of our story, "Cassis Rose, Eau de toilette''. 
I sniff that bottle now and that first year with him comes flying back. Memories of walking along the river, secret kisses in the dark and hand holding in the cinema. 
Memories of catching his eye across a french classroom, lifts home with his family and a New Year at the farm. 

We have exchanged many presents over the last few years and they too are precious. None though can bring back such a flood of memories as one sniff of this little perfume bottle can. 

Some day soon I will wear it again and see if we can add some new memories to the bank of ones that are already evoked by its scent. 

Today I am joining in with the lovely Sian and her Storytelling Sunday- pick your precious. Do pop over to visit other bloggers and read about their precious things.

23 comments:

Ruth said...

What a lovely memory to capture ~ your future grandchildren will thank you for it!!!

Jane said...

what a lovely gift and memory and you have so many years ahead to create more!

Jen said...

Beautiful story Abi - perfume is so evocative - I have my granny's perfume bottle - and when I open it it still smells of her. Jen x

Missus Wookie said...

Oh beautifully photographed and told, definitely a precious.

Sian said...

That's such a perfect story! and there's something about the way you have photographed it..makes it easy to see the love, I think. Funny I know, but I can feel myself straining to catch a little sniff of the scent right now..

Mel said...

Perfume is so evocative and can take you right back to the moment.

Alison said...

A lovely memory, Abi...beautifully told,
Alison xx

Lou said...

awww...a lovely story. You have reminded me that I have a few bits I can't part with either x

debs14 said...

What a lovely story. How sweet of him to find such a perfect gift for you.

Sandra said...

Such a beautiful memory and you really bring a story to life

Becky said...

What a lovely memory - you really do tell a story well :)

Sheena said...

What a wonderful story, beautifully told & photographed x

scrappyjacky said...

What a beautiful post,Abi....I think scents evoke more memories than anything else.

Kirsty.A said...

aaah, that's a lovely story. And soo brave of himto buy perfume - I'm still waiting for my husband of 14 years to do that!

Miriam said...

I absolutely loved your story Abi, Perfume can take me right back to a time and place too.

Barbara Eads said...

I'm always amazed at how something as simple as a smell can bring memories flooding back. I'm so glad you have something of your first year together. You'll be able to share those stories with your grandchildren!

Anonymous said...

I love this story and that the smell of that precious little bottle can evoke such happy memories.

Karen said...

A beautifully told story, Abi!

Jo said...

A lovely story, it's amazing the memories that little bottle holds x

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing the story of this very precious gift with us.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Isn't it amazing how the sense of smell really can transport us? Lovely story (for such a lovely couple).
Rinda

Sinead said...

This is magical Abi - it's amazing how the scent of perfume can bring back so many special memories. You write so well. Thanks for sharing this story x
P.S. Your last comment on my blog about watching Downton and crocheting...YES! This has to be done :D

Sharon said...

Beautiful memory - that made me cry! So beautifully written as well. X