27 October 2013

Let's sit and have a cup of tea

Come in, come in out of the cold.
The wind is blowing a gale and the rain is starting to sputter in from the North. We are expected a storm sometime tomorrow.


It's good to see you in Durham again. Here, take the comfy red sofa and I'll pop the kettle on....

If you were meeting me now I would sit down next to you on that soft sofa, feet curled up around me, hands cradling a mug of tea.
I would apologise that it is a bit cold in the lounge. We haven't yet put the heating on, being students and all that. We would laugh together as I told that you that the quilts are definitely coming into their own.

Speaking of quilting I would quickly rush upstairs and come down with a very special box in my hands. I would tell you all about the friendship quilt that Fiona has initiated, about the lovely parcels that arrive most weeks and the beautiful squares that have arrived in the post. We would pour together over the patterns and colours. I would tell you how lovely it is to be a part of this worldwide creative group. That every time a parcel arrives I get to chat to my housemates about blogging and dear blog friends. You would give me suggestions for how to quilt it together. I would tell you that I want to incorporate the creators initials onto their squares and may embroider them on when the quilt is finished.
I would carefully move the layers of material to find the square I am looking for, which is very relevant today. The lovely tea cup that Deb sent me all the way from the states!


Thinking of tea, do you want a top up? No? I have a spiced pound cake just out of the oven which is truly scrummy with a bit of butter. Can I tempt you?
As we dived into the cake I would tell you about how the last month has been. How I forget what a whirl student life is. How it really is one thing after another and that I can only really look at a day at a time. I would confide that all the things I am involved in are good. That I am loving my course this year, that I am doing more children's work and that I have the great blessing of leading a home group from church. That said, these things take time along with looking after our dear little house.
I would ask you how you manage it? How do you juggle work and cooking and housework and for many of you children?
This adult lark takes quite some doing!


But enough about me. How are you? How has your October been? Ours has been soggy and windy. I crave those crisp and sunny days with crunchy leaves though they have been few and far between. I am hopeful for what November will bring! How is your blog? I am interested. It feels like a few of us are taking more of a break between posts. I certainly am. Maybe it is this time of year, more hunkering down and creating than time spent online? Or perhaps it is the business that preludes Christmas.
You would probably laugh at me for discussing christmas so early! I would tell you that I am involved in another lovely creative swap with Miriam, sending decorations to other bloggers.

I am going to pop the kettle back on. You can never have too much tea in my opinion.
You would ask me how I am enjoying living out and I would tell you that I still love it. I still like having a place to call home, I like my little room in the top of the house and the view over the chimney pots. I would tell you all about our little dinner parties. Of the joy of having friends over on a saturday night to share food.


I look at my watch and realise we have been talking for most of the afternoon. How time flies with friends. Durham will be packed on your walk back. Many families come and visit in this first half term. Is it half term for you? What are you up to? I am working in a school at the moment one afternoon a week so this week will be a bit more relaxed for me too, even though lectures continue.

I would lead you to the door, passing you your coat from the peg. We would hug tightly and I would make you promise to come for tea again in a month when I have a feeling that it will feel slightly more wintery! Isn't it lovely that we have been meeting like this for nearly a whole year!

I would wave you off as you walked down the hill calling goodbye as you rounded the corner.

If you were meeting with me now, what would you tell me? 

If you would like to write a "tea" post please add it to the linky at the bottom so we can all sit and share with you! The linky will be open for a week so you have plenty of time! 

16 comments:

JO SOWERBY said...

What a lovely cuppa and sitting under a quilt how wonderful. I don't turn my heating on either most of the time cos the ceiling here is so high it's take too gas to warm it up. I have a small eliectric fire I sometimes use but normally extra clothes and blankets
Jo xxxx

debs14 said...

It's been lovely to sit and hear all about how you have been settling into your new home. I, too, am looking forward to some crisp autumnal weather and hope the predictions for a massive storm in this area tomorrow are wrong!

ally said...

It's great to catch up on student life. The quilt sounds cosy

Sian said...

I'd tell you that I cannot wait to see how you put those squares together and I can just imagine you cosy-ing up underneath a new quilt in your attic room.

I'm hoping to join in later in the week if that's okay. I had to do my Storytelling Sunday reminder today..

Lou said...

I'd ask you to show me how you make your beautiful quilts. Thanks for the tea x

scrappyjacky said...

It sounds as if you're managing to be very cosy in that little house.

Sandra said...

I'd say thank you for the tea, cake and lovely time spent with you, oh I've loved my visit. You always make me feel at home. We'd certainly talk quilting oh and I'd show you the new I love quilting magazine I bought the other day. By the way you can download the first issue free in the App Store at the moment x

Prairie Jill said...

What a lovely visit! It's so good to hear that you're enjoying school and your little house. I loved seeing your quilt squares. That's going to be such a fun project.

Can't wait to see you again next month. (And, by the way, if you think it's wintery in Durham in November, wait until you see how cold it gets in Winnipeg!)

Amy said...

Hi again ... so good to see you!

I would ooh and ahh over that lovely quilt square Deb sent to you and comment that she ALWAYS knows just the thing to send or say. I would have to apologise for mine being over sized and a bit creased, but, Australia is a long way away and I am so pleased it made it to you before the end of the month.

I can clearly remember a chilled Uni house and the fantastic dinners we used to have - I learnt a life long love of cooking during those times.

And, as for being an adult - some parts become easier and some more challenging - it is always changing and being able to adapt is one of the biggest things I have learnt.

Karen said...

I've had a lovely time this morning catching up with your posts. We came north from very hot weather to the brisk chill of October in Western New York. We've been out walking the last two mornings, and are surprised to find that most of the leaves have not yet changed color. We thought that would be over by now.

Ruth said...

I felt as though I was actually there with you, thanks for the invitation!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a lovely catch-up, Abi, and I am oh-so-pleased that you liked your tea cup quilt square. :o) I loved sewing it for you!

It's fun to have tea with you in your very own first house, and I'm so happy to know that you are enjoying hosting dinners and friends - so fun!

Theresa said...

hello Abi.
I am joining in for the first time, I have only recently found you. Thanks so much for sharing, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your life in Durham.

Miriam said...

Hello Abi, I loved having tea with you under the beautiful quilt. I'm so please you have settled so well. I clearly remember my very first home and having friends around for dinner. Amy is right, being adaptable is the key.
I have written my post now and thanks for the mention about the swap x

Sinead said...

Hi Abi, so sorry I'm a little bit late joining in with the tea party, but thank you so much for inviting me! The friendship quilt sounds like a fantastic idea, and I can't wait to see the finished product! I'm so glad that things are going well for you back in uni, it is definitely a big change of routine and pace after the relaxing months of the summer at home, but it sounds like you've settled in really well :) I agree with you on the blogging front...my blog has definitely been quiet of late but I'm trying not to pressurise myself and just go with it!
Thanks again for the tea and cake, looking forward to next month already! xxx

alexa said...

It has been lovely to pop in, and have my own student memories reawakened - I too had a little attic room one year and your view just reminds me of it, so thank-you! That spice cake sounds delicious and I love the picture you paint of learning how to work, housekeep and be creative all at once! Yep, it can be bewildering and ever-changing but learning to go with the flow will be such a useful life lesson. It has been, as ever, a delight to pop in and I am already looking forward to next month :).