10 October 2013

In the top of the house

So far I am really really enjoying living in our sweet little terraced house at the edge of Durham. 
It is slowly but surely becoming a lovely cosy home. 
The pot plant is in the window, the fridge is full of fresh vegetables (I live with all girls), the bunting is up and and tv is now working. 

I didn't think I would enjoy living out this much. I enjoy coming home to our house after a lecture. Of having space to flop on the sofa as well as my own room to be quiet in. 
I love having my closest friends around me, of cooking for them, of laughing as we wash up and just chilling in the lounge with our work and big cups of tea. 


One of my favourite parts of our lovely little home is my room in the top of the house. Each morning the early sun shines through the skylight and as I open the window I can hear the city waking up. 

At night as the cold starts to creep in I lie in the dark with a quilt wrapped around my numb feet and listen to the city shut down for the night. As my eyes close I always listen for the late night freight train that thunders over the viaduct, rumbling right through to my bed. I know for some this would be annoying but it is something that makes me smile, imagining who has lived here before and has been lulled to sleep by the passing trains. 

This little house that is becoming home. I can't wait to record more memories and stories of this place because from what I can gather from your lovely comments, we don't really forget our first home. 


12 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

It sounds like the perfect home for you,Abi....I'm sure many happy memories will be made there.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are settling in so nicely, Abi. Your view is lovely enough that I think it would be easy to accept a train rumbling through now and then.

Sandra said...

It really does sound like you've found your happy place .... Enjoy

Lou said...

it sounds like a happy home Abi - enjoy your time there x

Kirsty.A said...

My student house was next to a railway line too. My room used to shake when the trains came past. I'd forgotten that - that's for the memory

Ruth said...

Happy times in a happy home ~ enjoy.

Karen said...

A beautiful post and a beautiful photograph to accompany it. I'm so happy for you!

Sian said...

There is absolutely nothing to beat that feeling of putting your own key in your own lock :)

Niina - My Paper Chaos said...

It sounds lovely (and this post is lovely!). Yes there's something special about your first home...even though I think I have more love for our second home (where we're currently living)...but still a first is always a first :)

Miriam said...

You sound so happy Abi, mind you how could you not be with such a wonderful view across the city wrapped up in your beautiful quilt.

alexa said...

Indeed we don't forget, Abi! And I am remembering with affection my own little attic room in a student house with the moonlight spilling in through the skylight. You need a hot water bottle :).

Maria Ontiveros said...

Abi,
You are so mature and wise beyond your years. I was not ready for that type of independent happiness until I was a few years older. I lived in student housing for three years of University. I am happy for you that you have found your HOME.
Rinda